Sunday 12 December 2021

[V-PREMIUM] BRO 2021 AO Region - ROYAL PALADIN THING SAVER DRAGON

 Hi, I'll be giving my report for BRO 2021 AO region. 

Lets talk about my deck first and a small writeup about it. Here's the decklog link : Thing Saver Deck Log


I think most people would spot the lack of Ashlei in the decklist. Personally in my own playtest vs other people. I end up almost never using Ashlei's effect due to the soul cost. As such, I have cut it from the deck and replaced it with Livarots instead (Since I had some extras) The game that made me decide to cut Ashlei was one that I drew Ashlei on my g3 turn, was unable to G-Assist and was forced to ride Ashlei, TSD (Thing Saver Dragon) being a 1-turn delay deck, already suffers from its own limitation, failriding ends up making the game straight up unplayable. G-assisting is preferable. During the games, I found myself not really using Livarot much either, so will probably change it to 1 more loading angel and a random g1. The deck is really slow paced, and kinda grindy with the legion playstyle of shuffling 3-4 triggers back each turn (2nd G3 turn onwards). I also use the jewel knight g1 and g2 to constantly put Blaster Blade Seeker (assuming I could not proc its effect) as well as TSD back into the deck, which allows me to put 4 triggers back every turn with TSD. Lucius, Loading Angel and the Jewel Knights allow me to consistently have the soul count required to activate TSD skill each turn. Also, note that going first is extremely good for this deck due to the 1 turn delay and I will constantly mention this in the following recaps.


Lets move on to the games that I played.

Round 1  vs Dimension Police (Bradblack) - Win
Fighting against DP, I actually lost the dice roll and went second. I honestly expected to lose against DP due to its early aggression and high crit count. Actually managed to barely win, on my opponents 2nd g3 turn. He had two miracle beauty's on the board, and bradblack actually found Great Daiyusha. This meant that I had to deal with four 33k + Boost and 2 Base critical Miracle Beauty rearguard attacks. Luckily the first two damage I took gave me 2 Damage triggers, allowing me to barely guard all the attacks by dropping my whole hand. I then proceeded to win the game on my turn with TSD's 2nd Turn.

Round 2  vs Gold Paladins (SDD) - Win
Once again, fighting another super aggressive deck and losing the dice roll, I expected to lose. To my surprise, my opponent actually commented that he has a horrible history vs TSD using SDD. Either way, he fail-ride not Vortimer on turn 2. Combined with the fact that he did not have 4 damage on his first SDD turn, meant that he was unable to build up his handsize too greatly. Following this turn, he actually got a 2nd SDD turn where I no Guarded his SDD's 2nd attack at 3 damage, he failed to check a trigger, allowing me to survive barely at 5 damage. I would also note that he was not able to use percival's effect a single time in the first two SDD turns. He successfully defends against my turn, but was left with 2 cards in hand, unable to restand SDD he pretty much put up a weak attempt at closing out the game and fails, I proceed to win on my following turn, he had 3 cards in hand.

Round 3 vs Narukami (Vanquisher) - Lose
Again, I lose the dice roll and go second. However my luck has finally ran out, with no heal guardians or damage triggers, I end up dropping my whole hand on his first G3 turn (while I was on G2) to barely survive at 5 damage. I had been guarding early, so I actually went from 0-5 damage in  a single turn, only getting a damage trigger on the last check (and my opponents last attack). Getting full-brontoed while being a g2 is rough. Nothing interesting happens on my first TSD turn, then I lose the following turn.

Round 4 vs Bermuda Triangle (Highlander) - Win
To clarify, this is a pure Highlander build, not the new PRISM - highlander hybrid thing going around.Finally, I win the dice roll and go first. Very uneventful game as my opponent G-assists on G2, and I get 2 triggers on my first TSD turn. He gets a 6 damage heal, barely surviving my turn. On his turn, he attempts to damage deny me, attacking my rearguards with his rearguard and vanguard, but ends up using raindeer, riding ange and giving me one damage. I win the following turn due him not having a decent hand. Interestingly, this opponent actually had 5 PGs in his decklog (which I and his first 2 opponents did not notice) and was actually DQed on the 5th round

Round 5 vs Dark Irregulars (Scharhrot) - Lose
Going into this game, I felt pretty confident I could out grind a Scharhrot player.  I was wrong. I also lost the dice roll, and went second. He managed to ride g3 searcher to discard a card, calls out variants killertail and immediately was able to use her effect. Following this, he managed to ride emblem master on g2 turn, placing 3 variants killertail from the deck into the soul and continue to build up huge soul count. On his first g3 turn, he almost managed to hit 15 soul, if I recall correctly, he was at 12 soul when Schahrot attacked. Side note, he had a Number of terror, which he restanded allowing him to gain a huge handsize advantage. Overall he out-grinded me and eventually closed out the game.

Round 6 vs Granblue (Nightrose) - Lose
I won the dice roll, felt decently confident in my chances. Nothing particularly interesting to talk about for this game, just did regular granblue things. He managed to get beatrice as a rearguard and two ghostships by the first g3 turn, so every turn he was able to get at least 3, if not 4 ghostship attacks, that allowed him to survive my attacks (combined with protect 1 markers) Eventually, he closed out the game with a 25 cards in his drop and quadruple skull dragons. 

Round 7 vs Royal Paladin (TSD) - Win
Actually my favourite match of the entire day, the two of us just had a great time talking and playing TSD. Won the dice roll, so went first, putting me at an advantage. This was also the longest game I played, actually going all the way till timeout and a judge actually informed us that its the last three turns. That said, I managed to win that turn. Overall, I think I won due to force gift placements. I focused most of my gifts on the vanguard, while my opponent split the power evenly. This led to me constantly having 2 high power columns (both my vanguard attacks, as well as the blaster blade seeker attack) which were very hard to guard after the 2nd TSD turn. While his evenly spread gifts allowed me to guard most of his attacks much more easily. Also go first win game lol.

Round 8 vs Genesis (Regalia) - Lose (but in my heart I won)
To clarify, this was a pure regalia build, not Himiko regalia. Losing the dice roll, I expected to get rushed down. However managed to get 2 heal guardians in my hand, allowing me to negate his first g3 turn. Eventually, on his 3rd G3 Turn, he declared his last attack, I had a PG in hand, so I could guard it. BUT at that moment my computer actually crashed, like a blue screen. Seeing as I was going out after the match, I honestly got too lazy to turn on my computer again so I told my opponent as well as the judges that I crashed, but was unable to guard and so awarded my opponent the win. Realistically, if I did reconnect, I would most likely have won the game as he was at 4 damage with 5 cards in hand. It would be my 3rd TSD turn and my first twin drive actually was two triggers. (I just simulated it because I was curious) Thus, in my heart I would have won the game. In reality though, still a loss.

Overall Results WWLWLLWL 4wins, 4 losses
In my heart WWLWLLWW 5wins, 3 losses
Personally, I actually went even in wins/loss. Ranked 42 overall. I expected much worse results (you can tell based on my deck name)playing TSD. Especially going into a meta that seemed like would be a counter to my slow paced deck. Turns out most of my matches was decent matchups and I was able to enjoy myself vs other players that were less competitive and more there for fun. Managed to avoid all the meta decks somehow (except maybe granblue)

Thats all from me, looking forward to the next clan collection, where we will be getting Salome for jewel knights!

No comments:

Post a Comment